Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saturday Morning Musings

I have finished the book 8.4 that I was reading. Now that was a thriller and a chiller if there ever was one. And since it was about earthquakes and the New Marid fault it was especially intereting to me. I had not realized before just how vulnerable Little Rock could be should the Big One happen.

I have started Nella Last's Diary that Kathy recommended. Girl, you never disappoint. It is a diary written by an ordinary British housewife and Mother during WWII. Aside from the very interesting take on the time the stark honesty with which Nella Last writes just gives me chills. She not only tells it how it was, but more imporantly, how she felt and what she was thinking. I am not very far into it but it's going to be another page turner.

I was laying in bed a while ago, drinking my first cup of coffee for the day and Richard came in and sat on the bottom of my bed and we had an early morning chat. He always takes a couple of minutes with me every day for a little one-on-one time with me and I really appreciate it. He is such a good and considerate son. He is also my life preserver. Anyway I was telling him how much I had to do and we were both laughing on what a dithery old lady I have become. Here I am, in a stew about how I can possibly watch the video's I have from netflix, (I have the BBC miniseries Fall of Eagles and it is Excellent!) read the book I have going and hate to put down, work on the family tree, put my travel journal in print form for Stacia who thinks they should be a book (family members are so good for one's ego) and scan some of the hundreds of pictures I have on ancestors and put them on a disk for grandchildren. I tell you, I am finding retirement busier than when I was working.

My son Randy says he will be voting for McCain. Since he has been such a staunch Democrat this surprises me.  You know how I am always joking about being a travel writer in my next life? Well I think what I really need is two next lives so that I can also be a geneticist. (did I spell that right) I am wondering if racism is genetic? I was literally screamed at last week by my X-Sil who said such ugly, ugly things about Obama that I hung up as fast as I could (I didn't hang up on her because she has some pictures I want to scan) and immediately went to Obama's web site and donated $25 to his campaign. I decided that is the only response one can make to that sort of hateful retoric that might have any effect since arguing with someone like that is an exercise in futility. I know my X-Mother and Father in law were racists of the worse kind in my opinion. They were such nice people aside from that but they definitely had a dark side. After listening to Ann rave and rant I also got the strong impression that her Grandfather was a member of the KKK. So I am asking myself, is this some kind of mutated gene that my children have inherited. I know, and Randy knows that I know (we are a knowledgeable family to quote from The Lion in Winter) that his support for McCain is based on racism. It's like the fact that he smokes pot, again I know and he knows I know but it is just not acknowledged. I don't think Richard is racist, but now I have to wonder since he and Randy are actually conjoined twins in spite of being born two years apart. Maybe I stop need to stop thinking about this. *sigh*

So if I have any chance at all of accomplishing anything today I had better get busy.

No comments: